Sunday, July 4, 2010

Craft ideas are coming

Paige has finally gotten to the age where we can do really cool crafts together without Mommy getting upset at her non-listening skills.  I spent yesterday going through books, and my Safari bookmarks scoping out ideas.  I was looking for something to do on Monday when we have Girls Day.  I ended up with more ideas than we can possibly use on one day.  I stopped looking when I hit 20 ideas.  Those should keep us busy for a while.

We did our first project yesterday: Fun Sticks.  It seems that when we have time to do something fun, we have a hard time coming up with ideas. But when we don't have time to stop and play, like in the middle of running errands, I come up with the best ideas.  Now, those ideas of fun things, including crafts, are all written on sticks.  How to make the jar and the sticks, complete with pictures, will be posted tomorrow.

Most of my crafts that I've picked are geared towards the 4 year old age group.  There are a few parts, like using the hot glue gun, that are just for Mommy to do alone.  I have a very full to overflowing craft cabinet, which makes these pretty easy for me to do, and for cheap.  I didn't get it all at one time.  I've watched sales at my two favorite craft stores: Hobby Lobby and Michael's, and stocked up when I could.  Like paints.  You could buy the Crayola kids paints, getting a box of 4 small jars for $6.  Or, Michael's regularly puts their very large jars of washable tempra paints on sale for 99 cents each.  Other things that I consider part of a basic package:

  • Googly eyes, wiggly eyes, whatever you want to call them
  • Pipe cleaners, chenille stems, same thing
  • Foam stickers
  • Glue
  • Pom pom balls
  • Construction paper
  • Thicker card stock for scrapbooking
  • Ribbon
  • Cardboard tubes from paper towels and toilet paper
  • Stick on jewels
  • Alphabet beads
  • Colorful beads
  • Bead string or fishing line
  • Craft sticks, or popsicle sticks
Those items will get you through the majority of the craft projects I have planned.  Another great place to stock up on some basics is Dollar Tree.  They have a small craft section where you can pick up some good stuff.

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Your stock-up mentality is great!!