Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 3 No Voice

Yes, I still don't have a voice.  When I got off work yesterday it was just as bad as it was when I woke up Monday morning.  Only now it was also hard to breath and swallow.  It was time for a trip to the Doc in a Box, or Urgent Care, whichever you want to call it.  Some of my symptoms could be pointing towards strep.  I certainly didn't want to give it to Paige or Ronnie, so off to the doc I went.

I got a very thorough check up, and was told it probably wasn't strep.  I did ask to be tested just in case.  Have you been tested for strep lately?  Very uncomfortable!  Yuck!  The test came back negative luckily.  As the doctor and nurse practitioner were waiting for the results they looked at the Buffett concert pictures on my phone.  They both agreed that the concert was worth it.  The diagnosis? Laryngitis.

I was given a steroid to take now.  I give that a couple of days and if my voice isn't better I get to start an antibiotic.  I'm also not supposed to talk.  I'm supposed to rest my voice as much as I can.  That's OK at work, to a point.  I've had help in taking and placing phone calls to clients.  I email and text message my coworkers a lot to avoid talking.  At home is another story.  Do you know how hard it is to not answer your 4 year old?  Paige talks a mile a minute and requires an answer.  She knows I've lost my voice, but doesn't quite understand what that means.  When she talks to me, she wants an answer.  And while it's OK to text Kelli on the other side of the office, I fell odd texting my husband on the other end of the couch.

I'm doing my best and my voice is slowly getting better.  I will say though, that concert was worth the laryngitis no matter how long it lasts.  It was wonderful.  Being there watching Jimmy Buffett play for 2 1/2 hours with friends around me was a great time.  I would go back again right now and yell some more. What's a few more days of laryngitis?

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Ugh, it must be getting old! I'm glad the concert was worth it though.

And you're right, strep tests are icky. Gag...literally.