Saturday, March 13, 2010

Board Games

A friend complimented me after Christmas saying she liked how we did so much Old School.  Well, Ronnie and I are older than most first time parents.  I'll be 37 next month, and Ronnie will be 38 in August.  We've bought Paige the toys we liked playing with as kids, and some of the ones we wished we had.  Sit and Spin?  Loved it.  In our house it's called the Sit and Spew.  Lite Brite?  Totally love that one.  She got it for Christmas this year.  We have updated some of our favorites from childhood.  Paige doesn't come home in the afternoons to play Atari, she plays Wii.  Forget playing the a black & white Gameboy; Paige can pick from the Nintendo DS or my iPhone.

Some things are just plain fun. They don't need to be updated.  All they need is a clear spot on the floor and maybe some popcorn if you're lucky.  Paige has had some board games like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders.  Today we were in Toys R Us to pick up a birthday gift, and found it was the last day of a great sale.  I picked up Hi Ho Cherry-O and Don't Break the Ice for $4.99 each (usually $12.99 and $9.99 each), plus Hasbro has a mail in rebate for another $2 off each one.  I remember playing Hi Ho Cherry-O for what seemed like hours with my cousin Steven as a child. It was his absolute most favorite game.  Even if I never send in the rebate, that was a great price for the games.

Tonight seems like a good night for family game night.  I feel the need to skip a bath, and spend that extra time playing games with Paige.  No batteries required.  All we need is to move the coffee table next to the wall, toss some pillows on the floor, and maybe pop some popcorn.  Sounds like a good evening to me.

1 comment:

Special K said...

Love it! We like games around here, and while the kids are a bit too uptight about losing for some of our games, they really do like the HiHo Cherry-Oh and Break-the-ice