I saw Eclipse Friday afternoon. I didn't see any of the other Twilight movies in the theatre. Honestly, I didn't think the movies were that good. I did read the books, and absolutely loved them. Eclipse is my favorite of the books, so the one I decided to see on the big screen. I won't give out spoilers, but I will say I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. It was definitely a good movie. But, after seeing both Eclipse and Toy Story 3 recently, I think maybe some people need a refresher in movie etiquette.
- Put your phone on silent. We don't want to hear it. If you may have a call you must get, you can put the phone in your lap or back pocket, you'll feel it vibrate.
- Don't text during the movie. That huge screen you love on your iPhone? It's really bright. When the rest of the theatre is dark, and it's a night scene in the movie, your phone is even brighter.
- Don't kick the chair in front of you. Bumps here and there are OK. If you're bored, go wait outside, don't just sit and kick the chair in front of you.
- Don't take kids to a more adult movie. We each raise our kids our own way, but I somehow doubt a 4 year old really needs to see Eclipse. Especially when she gets scared during a fight scene and screams. We don't appreciate it.
- Don't talk. If you just have to talk, try a whisper. I don't want to hear your conversation. It's not that important to me.
- Along with the above one: If you've read the book, you don't have to prove to us that you've read it and how much you remember. Comparing the movie to the book during the movie, just annoys the rest of us. And here's a hint: You aren't the only one to have read Eclipse. I promise you aren't. A lot of us have read it, but we manage to keep our mouths shut.
- If you're going to see a sequel, like Eclipse, and you haven't seen the first two movies: don't go! Granted, you probably don't have to see Toy Story 1 and 2 in order to really understand what's going on in Toy Story 3. But, if a movie is billed as a saga, and if you don't live under a rock, you know Eclipse is the 3rd installment of the Twilight series.
As I'm sitting there watching the movie, an older lady behind me kept asking her friend questions. Without giving away any spoilers, if you have to ask who Victoria is, and why she wants to kill Bella, Eclipse is not the movie for you. Start with Twilight and work your way up to it. You really will enjoy it more. Probably the worst time this happened was when I went to see Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It was the midnight opening of the movie. Some guy obviously wanted to make his date happy by taking her to see it. It was obviously her idea. We get to the part of the movie where Arwen, Liv Tyler, is having a vision of her future, and sees her husband and son running through the woods. It's beautifully done. This guy who had been asking questions during the movie started asking who Liv Tyler was supposed to be. I'll admit, I started the popcorn throwing. He got the hint and didn't ask another question during the movie. It may not have been as annoying as that, but still, see all the other movies first, don't start almost at the end.
If you can't follow some basic common courtesy, you probably shouldn't go to the movies. Movies are getting more and more pricey. I don't pay to see one on the big screen only to hear your conversations and watch you text. I give you the same courtesy since I'm sure you don't care who's picking up my child from daycare or what we're having for dinner.