Sunday, September 27, 2009

Consignment Shopping

We have a twice annual consignment sale here in town. I'm sure there are other sales during the year, but none stack up to this. This one totally rocks. There are 850 consignors. Each consignor is allowed to place up to 150 items, and no more. Each item placed is closely inspected for any stains, tears or missing buttons. Those items are immediately rejected. A lot of the clothes are name brand. My best find last year? Purple Ralph Lauren stripped sweater, looked brand new, for $5.

Yes, I'm a fan of this sale. I look forward to it each year. As quickly as Paige grows, I just can't see spending $50 for a Ralph Lauren sweater for a 3 year old. I'm more of the $5 crowd, than the $50 crowd. My bank account can't afford the full price for Polo. There's a fall/winter sale, and a spring/summer sale. Usually by the time the next sale rolls around, Paige needs all new clothes. That's what happens when nothing from the year before still fits. At the age of 3, Paige is in a size 4. She needs it for the length since she's so tall, but her little waist is more of a 3T still. Last winter she was in a 3T. Last years pants are closer to a capri than a long pant. None of the shirts fit.

I volunteer to work at the sale, meaning I get to shop early. I also consign at the sale (this is my first sale to consign) so I get to shop early for that as well. I shopped today on my volunteer ticket, and I gave my consignor ticket to Aunt Wii to shop tomorrow for her grandson, Xander. The sale opens to the public on Wednesday. The doors opened at 4pm. I was in line at 1:30. Preparing for this sale is easy: go through Paige's closet to see if anything still fits, grab a laundry basket for shopping, a book for reading while you wait, and sit and wait. Lots of people take chairs to wait, that's too much effort for me. I don't mind sitting on the ground. I waited 2 1/2 hours in the heat to be one of the first in line. I was about number 75 to 80 in line. Number 1 in line got there at 11 am.

I did well at the sale. I got 1 toy box (bin style retail $6o, paid $30), 6 pairs of pants, 3 skirts, 2 dresses, and 15 to 20 shirts. Total spent? $117. Probably my best find is a pair of Children's Place pants, size 4 with the adjustable waist, cute little butterflies appliquéd down the side, tags still on. Retail was $19, I got them for $6.50. The person who consigned them got them on clearance for $12.50 at least.

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Woo hoo! Glad you made out successfully again this year!