Wednesday, February 25, 2009

R2-D2, 4/15/08 - 2/24/09


We lost our cat R2 sometime during the night last night. Our cats are indoor/outdoor cats. R2 likes it outside. He didn't come in last night. It's not that unusual, and it was a warm night. I didn't worry too much about it. This morning when I opened the door to let him in, he wasn't there. That is unusual for him. But, remembering K9's recent overnight stay in my van, I wasn't as concerned, but definitely worried. I didn't see him in the cul-de-sac or the yard, so Paige & I got ready for the day.

As we pulled out of the cul-de-sac I saw him. He was stretched out in the road just likes he likes to sleep: legs straight out & tail straight out behind him. He would make himself as big as possible. I took Paige to daycare & called work to tell them I would be late. I came back home to bury him in the backyard with our other pets. R2 was a pure white cat, and there were no visible signs of trauma. It's very likely he was poisoned. It could have been a non-cat friendly neighbor. Or, it could have been more innocent. He could have tried to eat a frog, lizard or roach, all of which produce toxins that will kill a cat. Also, we have a neighbor who works on cars in his backyard. He may not have disposed of some antifreeze properly. It's all speculation. We are certain it was poison, but not what type.

Ronnie is still out of town, so I had to tell Paige myself. I told her that R2 didn't hold hands while he was crossing the street, and that he was hit by a car. I followed this up with reminding her that's why Mommy & Daddy make her hold hands in parking lots. I tried to make her understand that we only have 1 cat now, and that R2 will never come back. Althought she did a lot of thumb sucking when I told her, I'm not sure she gets it yet. It's hard to comprehend when you're only 3. When Ronnie gets home we'll tackle Kitty Heaven. We have planned a small party for him Saturday, just the 3 of us and K9. We'll let Paige say good bye to him that way. We'll have a picture of the 2 of them framed & put it in her room. I kind of like this one. It sums up his personality. He would climb into the stroller & nap while Paige pushed him. He adored her. She could do anything to him & he would just purr. She is definitely going to miss him.


I miss him too.

4 comments:

RAEToncrey said...

he was a good kitty. Even when he was being bad.

C. Beth said...

I am so sorry, Angie. :(

Strange Mamma said...

I'm so sorry for your, and Paige's loss.

*Monica said...

aww, i missed this post. Poor kitty and Poor Paige.