Thursday, April 23, 2009

Relay for Life

One of my coworkers, Kelli, has been the driving force in my participation this year. She found out when it is being held, created a group, and told us to sign up. Tomorrow night I will be participating in my first ever Relay for Life. The activities begin at 6pm with a survivor lap. After Kelli and Todd (another coworker) complete their lap, it will open for the rest of us.

The local chapter of The American Cancer Society has some good activities planned. There's a childrens area as well as events planned all night long. The goal is for us to walk until 6 am. I'm not sure I can make it that long. Someone from our team should be on the track at all times. I think there are enough of us that we can achieve that goal.

This is a family event for us as well. Everyone is bringing their spouse and children, if they have any. I've put together some things for the kids to do other than what's already scheduled. We've borrowed a canopy. Ronnie is bringing out the big grill pit. Everyone at work is bringing something. This should be a nice get together for everyone involved. And at the same time raise money for a good cause.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go, Angie! Let me know how it turns out. I will be participating in the Jackson County Relay for Life on May 15. It will be my first time as well.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Amy

*Monica said...

good job!

Strange Mamma said...

WooHoo! Have fun. I was supposed to do the Avon 2-day with my BFF's this year (they've done it 3 years running and I've either been chicken, out of the country, or recovering from giving birth) and here I am, out of the country again. Only it turns out we're going back for a visit over that weekend, so I'll have to go walk a few miles with them. Asher was at the finish line with them last year at the ripe old age of 8 weeks.

SciFi Mama said...

Amy- I'll let you know, and post pics. That way you'll know what to expect.

Heather- That would be so cool! Go for it. Come on, I know you can do it.

SciFi Mama said...

Monica- Thanks. I've done other stuff in the past, but this seems like a cool thing to get into.

Strange Mamma said...

Oh, and I tagged you today, too.

stacief said...

I think that it is so awesome that you and your family are doing the relay! Great cause!