Monday, July 14, 2008

The coolest kitchen gadget EVER!

Hi, my name is Angie and I can't boil an egg. Really, I can't. It either turns out overcooked, or worse, undercooked. There is a black hole that lives around a pot of boiling water with an egg in it. I just lose track of time, and I usually think it's been boiling longer than it has. Ronnie has the same problem, so I don't feel as bad.

Wendy introduced us to this little gadget. It's the Lux Egg Timer. But it's not a normal egg timer. It's not like I have to remember to set it or anything. All I have to do is remember to toss it in the pot. We've been borrowing hers for about 4 years now. She said if she ever saw one in a store she would pick it up for us. Last Monday was our lucky day. Wendy was shopping the Linens N Things going out of business sale and found just 1 left.



I've been waiting for a chance to use it, but hadn't had one yet. So I created one. I'll be taking a tuna sandwich for lunch tomorrow. I placed the egg and egg timer in the pot and let it go. I checked back once, too early.


Second time is the charm. See?




It works based on temperature, not time. As the water boils the timer heats us and changes color. The timer actually "cooks" as if it were an egg. Cool, huh? I think so too! I like my eggs hard boiled, so I let it turn completely dark before removing.


And here's my perfectly cooked hard boiled egg. I have no idea how long it took. I checked email real quick and typed most of this post. Star Trek was coming on when I started, so it's been at least 15 minutes since I started.




I'm sure you want one for yourself. Lucky you, I found them at Amazon. Lux Egg Timer
They're pretty cheap too. You'll pay more for shipping than for the egg timer itself. Solve this problem by buying a few to give as gifts. They would be great as an extra at Christmas, or even to give to a Mommy of a toddler who has 4 cats a dog and a fish. Oh wait, I already have one. I'm sure once you start raving about it others will want one too. And trust me, they're hard to find. It took 4 years to find this one, and I had searched the internet at least twice before.

Don't be fooled by others. I've found others online before. Their customer comments were not nice. They hold up pretty well too. Wendy has had hers for about 7 or 8 years now. Apart from some slight discoloration from being boiled so much, it's in perfect shape!

No comments: