Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Mommy Drawer

This is a very special place that is extremely well hidden. Mommy has all kinds of neat distractions and new things in it just waiting for Paige. OK, so it's the bottom drawer in my bedside table. Still, it's all new stuff for Paige. I can't be the only one who has one of these things. I keep it full of distractions. Toys that will buy us some time when it's raining all weekend and she can't go out. Or, something to give her when she's just having a bad day. Currently it's full of finger paints, a Cars Crayola Wonder, Bob the Builder stickers, notebooks & pencils. It's also got some new foam stickers in there. Oh, and tattoos, don't forget those. Paige could play with those all day.

I buy the stuff when it's on sale. All of the Bob came from the dollar section at Target. The Crayola Wonder was buy one get one free at Toys R Us. (I already had to break out the Thomas one last week. She had a rough day at daycare.) The paints were a half price sale about a month ago. She has no idea, she just knows it's something new and fun. Once the drawer gets full, like it is now, I stop buying things until it clears out some. Unless there's a really good sale, then all bets are off.

Paige has no idea where the stuff comes from. Ronnie keeps her distracted in the living room while I get something out of my secret stash. Mommy comes out into the living room holding something new and it works. I've been told that knowing when to bribe is the sign of a good parent. I think I'm living up to it. So, please tell me I'm not the only one who has a drawer like this.

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Well, I'm not as organized as you but I do have stuff stashed that will be there when I really need it--I like the idea of a whole drawer though! I even know where I could put the drawer.... Great idea!

(Oh, and I hate to say it, but I definitely resort to bribery frequently.)